So I probably missed the boat on this recipe. The California Fig Association said figs will be around until mid-December, but as far as I know, I haven’t seen a fig since early September – potentially August. But when you basically live in the Midwest, that’s probably an inaccurate estimate.
Sorry I’ve been a bad blogger. I’ve had a busy week (Penguins games! Meetings with shamans! HOMECOMING with my best friend!) and I have barely even made it to yoga. But I’m back now!
On the note of homecoming, to every person I saw this weekend who told me they read/followed/loved my blog – I know you were probably drunk, but thank you, I love you and your comments seriously made my weekend.
A note about these muffins – they were slightly lazily made. I hate chopping things so I didn’t chop the blackberries and didn’t want to buy dried figs (sugar), so you could make those two adjustments. Without further audieu…
Blackberry Fig Muffins
What you’ll need:
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 large figs, chopped
1 cup blackberries
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup applesauce
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
dash Pink Himalayan sea salt
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners. If you don’t want to chance it – line a mini-muffin pan in case you have a little extra batter left over, too. (No one ever tells you that in recipes.)
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium sized bowl, mix Greek yogurt, honey, yogurt, egg, and coconut oil.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Add figs and blackberries carefully and mix until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 of the way full. Put in oven for 15-18 minutes until the tops start to brown.
- Let cool in tins for 10 minutes then allow to cool fully on wire rack.
- Store in fridge for up to 5 days.
Tips:Live somewhere that figs are in season longer than one day. I also think these would be so good mixed in Greek yogurt, but they didn’t last long enough to try that.
Chat with me:
Did you miss me? What were you up to this week?